What is the International Dyslexia Association – South Carolina?
The International Dyslexia Association – South Carolina (IDA-SC) is a non-profit organization dedicated to serving as a valuable resource to individuals with dyslexia and their families, teachers/tutors, educational professionals, and the medical community. Our primary mission is to promote dyslexia awareness to positively impact the lives of individuals who are struggling with dyslexia.
- Dyslexia impacts up to 1 in 5 students who are often bright and motivated.
- The scientific evidence on how the brain learns to read is not being taught in our teacher training centers in our universities; is not well understood by many teachers, administrators, or school psychologists; and is not being used to inform reading instruction in most schools across our country. Subsequently, many children do not learn to read to the best of their ability, while children with dyslexia are left behind and at great risk for reading failure.
- Research has identified a large percentage of our prison population as dyslexic. Dyslexia, which can lead to illiteracy, is often referred to as a “pipeline to prison”.
- Research has shown links between the struggle to read to an increased risk for anxiety and depression.
- Dyslexia is also often misdiagnosed as just an attentional issue.
- Teachers trained in evidence-based reading instruction (referred to as Structured Literacy) is a critical missing link in helping children with dyslexia. Your support will help us put the science of reading into our teachers’ hands and change the way reading is taught in our schools.
Our mission includes disseminating information and scientific research; offering teacher training scholarships; providing referrals for assessment, intervention, and parent advocacy; offering community outreach events; holding community fundraisers; conducting professional conferences; and supporting dyslexia legislation.
How can you help?
If you are an individual with dyslexia, a parent, a professional, or someone who is interested in supporting our initiatives and joining others in the community promoting change in the way reading is taught to all children, including those with dyslexia, please go to http://dyslexiaida.org to become a member of IDA. You will then automatically become a member of IDA-SC. We welcome you to become involved in our initiatives, including fundraisers, conferences, legislative engagement, and community outreach.
For further information, please email us at email@example.com
Angie Neal, M.S., CCC-SLP
Interim President International Dyslexia Association – South Carolina
Share this page with your friends…